Click on thumbnail to see larger image
The Royal Yacht Britannia is now a visitor attraction berthed at Ocean Terminal, Leith Harbour, Edinburgh. It is well worth visiting as the The Royal Yacht Britannia Trust have done a very good job of making it an interesting and informative attraction.
Britannia was built on the Clyde at John Brown's Shipyard in Clydebank and was launched in 1953. Her homeport was Portsmouth and during her lifetime, the Royal Dockyard there carried out regular maintenance and refits. Following decommissioning in 1997, it was decided that Leith in Edinburgh would be the resting place of this great lady and she would become a visitor attraction.
Beside the Britannia, on the waterside, is the 1930s ocean racing yacht Bloodhound, formerly owned by the Royal Family, and now beautifully restored. A floating walkway allows visitors to view this yacht at water level. On the harbour wall side is a special dock built to display the ship's launch, the Royal Barge.
David Halls 28/02/2012