Larkhall is a town in South Lanarkshire, south of Hamilton. Its history was mainly growth through coal mining with also quarrying, textile dyeing and clothing manufacture. A large Daks-Simpson clothing factory was opened at Strutherhill in 1948 by Harold Wilson, later to become prime minister. It became the biggest employer in the town and at its peak had about 1600 employees. Daks was a manufacturer for Marks & Spencer for 27 years until the contract was suddenly terminated in summer 2000, leading to 450 job losses and the eventual closure of the factory in 2002.
Currently, its proximity to the M74 has resulted in logistics companies and distribution centres setting up depots in Larkhall.
These are my photos of Larkhall, unfortunately a rather incomplete collection.
Millheugh Bridge and Weir on the Avon Water in Larkhall. Date: 27th October 2019
Millheugh Bridge and Weir. This photo taken from further back shows the steel girder viaduct beyond Millheugh Bridge. This carried the rail line from Larkhall to Stonehouse across the Avon and was the highest railway bridge in Scotland at 175 feet above the water. Date: 27th October 2019
The Lade from Millheugh Weir. Date: 27th October 2019
Clove Mill Wynd from the Millheugh Car Park. Date: 27th October 2019
Forty years after closure, Larkhall station was officially reopened on 9 December 2005 by Jack McConnell MSP, the then First Minister for Scotland. Passenger services started on 12 December 2005, with trains serving the Argyle Line.
This was part of a reconstruction of a singe track line from Hamilton to Larkhall with intermediate stations at Fernegair, Chatelherault and Merryton. The site of the former Larkhall Central Station was used for the construction of the new Larkhall Station. Development of new housing estates followed at the intermediate stations.
Larkhall Station. Date: 21st July 2011
MacNeil Street Bridge at Larkhall Station. The path is now from the station car park to the station, but formerly was the line from Larkhall to Stonehouse via the impressive steel viaduct shown previously. Date: 21st July 2011
Gateway to Robert Smillie Memorial Park. This gateway from the late 19th century was the entrance to Broomhill, a stately house and estate. In 1957, a park based on the estate was opened and dedicated to Robert Smillie, a local miner who became a prominent Trade Unionist and, with Keir Hardie, was instrumental in the formation of the Labour Party. Date of photo: 27th October 2019