A series of images of Stonehouse, South Lanarkshire and its surroundings.
The village is located between Larkhall and Strathaven on the A71. Originally traffic went through the village but there is now a bypass built in the 1990s which takes the traffic away from the old centre.
Looking down Trongate from the Cross (Main Square). 25th July 2021.
The former Black Bull Hotel at the Cross (Main Square). 25th July 2021.
Looking down King Street from the Cross (Main Square) 25th July 2021.
Spar convenience store at the Cross (Main Square). Note the 'Welcome to Stonehouse' poster on the wall and the seat outside the store. 25th July 2021.
Angle Street at the back of the Cross (Main Square). 25th July 2021.
Looking east from the Cross (Main Square) down New Street. 25th July 2021.
Paterson Union Free Church in Lawrie Street in Stonehouse. 25th July 2021.
The current building, named for the Rev Henry Angus Paterson who ministered to the congregation for over 60 years, dates from 1879. Designed by Shiells & Thomson, it is a Gothic-style church with a square corner tower and a rose window above the door. It remained a United Free Church at the Union of 1929. It was refurbished following a fire in 1977. It has a fine collection of stained glass windows by Crear McCartney. Information from the Scotland Churches Trust.
Conservation Area sign and flower planter opposite the church at the junction of Lawrie Street and Crow Road. 25th July 2021.
It seems ironic that this is at the entrance to Crow Road which is full of modern bungalows and houses despite being so close to the old centre of the village.
Linthaugh Bridge on the Avon Water to the North of the village. 25th July 2021.