A series of images of Douglas and the Douglas Estate in South Lanarkshire, Scotland.
The village of Douglas in South Lanarkshire originally grew to service the nearby Douglas Castle, the seat of the Lords of Douglas. Later, woollen mills and coal mining became an important part of the local economy.
Ayr Road (A70)
Douglas - A70 trunk road through village. 12th May 2019.
Douglas - A70 trunk road through village. The grey bungalow at the top is at the junction with Braehead. 12th May 2019.
Old building in Douglas at junction of A70 Ayr Road and Braehead. The lintel above the door carries the date 1883. 12th May 2019.
Scrib Tree - Coffee shop and retail outlet on A70 trunk road through village. Date: 19th June 2019.
Carol Taylor's Artists' Studio next to the Scrib Tree Coffee shop and retail outlet on the A70 trunk road through the village. Date: 19th June 2019.
The Douglas Arms Hotel (now unoccupied), looking very sorry for itself, at junction of A70 Ayr Road and Main Street. Date: 19th June 2019. The bunting is for the Douglas Gala to take place on Saturday, 22nd June 2019.
Shops in Ayr Road opposite The Douglas Arms Hotel. Date: 16th June 2019.
Lady Home Hospital
Lady Home Hospital is on Ayr Road, just before you enter the village of Douglas. It was built by the Douglas Estate and opened in 1889 by the Countess of Home as Douglas Cottage Hospital. In 1920, management was transferred to the parish and it then became known as Lady Home Hospital. In 1936 another wing was added and later, in the 1960s, further additions were made.
These photos were taken by Rozsa Halls on the 23rd July 2019.
Douglas - entrance to Victoria Bowling Club in Braehead. 12th May 2019.
Douglas - Victoria Bowling Club in Braehead. 12th May 2019.
Douglas - St Brides Church, Braehead, part of the Douglas Valley Parish. 12th May 2019.
Main Street and surrounding streets
Main Street at junction with Ayr Road. Date: 19th June 2019.
Douglas - Main Street, beyond the junction with Pathhead. 12th May 2019.
Douglas - Main Street, beyond the junction with Pathhead. 19th June 2019.
Douglas - Cross Keys Inn, Main Street. 12th May 2019.
Douglas - Pathhead. 12th May 2019.
Douglas - the road 'Blue Tower'. 12th May 2019.
Douglas - view down the road 'Blue Tower'. 19th June 2019.
Douglas - Main Street looking back from junction with Pathhead. 12th May 2019.
The old St Bride's Church
Douglas - the old St Bride's Church, dating back to the late 14th century is partially ruined. The tower was built in 1618. The church houses the tombs of the Douglas family and was renovated in the 1880s on the orders of the Earl of Home. The clock is said to have been gifted by Mary, Queen of Scots. Date of photos:(1) 19th June 2019 and (2) 12th May 2019.
Douglas - the old St Bride's Church in the light of the setting sun. 11th May 2006.
Douglas - view from the graveyard of the old St Bride's Church across Douglas Water valley. Date: 16th June 2019.
Next to the graveyard in Crabtree Street is the Douglas Heritage Museum. Date: 16th June 2019.
The Douglas Estate
Douglas Castle, surrounded by a large estate, was the stronghold of the Douglas family from medieval times to the 20th century. The castle was rebuilt a number of times in its history. The last version, dating from the 18th century had to be demolished in 1938 because of mining subsidence. Only a ruined corner of the penultimate castle remains, locally called "Castle Dangerous" after the novel by Sir Walter Scott.
Stable Lake, Douglas Estate. 12th May 2019
Another view of of Stable Lake, Douglas Estate. 12th May 2019
Swan and cygnets on Stable Lake, Douglas Estate. 12th May 2019
Castle Dangerous. The only remaining part of the Castle at Douglas. This is a ruined corner tower of the penutimate castle. It was retained as a garden folly when the later mansion was built. Date: 12th May 2019.
Polish Memorial Garden
Polish soldiers in France were evacuated to Britain in 1940 when Germany invaded France. Many were evacuated to Douglas where they settled into village life. They constructed three monuments as reminders of their life in Douglas. These were situated in various parts of the valley but were brought together in this memorial garden in 2002.
Polish Memorial Garden, Douglas Estate. 12th May 2019
Polish Memorial Garden, Douglas Estate. The trees planted around the garden are now showing very well. 19th June 2019
No, not a polecat but the cat that is the custodian of the Polish Memorial Garden, Douglas Estate. 19th June 2019
One of the memorials in the garden. The inscription is "1940. 10th Cavalry Brigade Polish Army". Date of photo: 19th June 2019
Memorials to the Cameronian Regiment
The Cameronians were Lanarkshire's own regiment, founded in 1689 by the Earl of Angus at Douglas. As a result of the re-organisation of the British Army in 1968, the Cameronians were disbanded. There are two memorials in Douglas - the first is a statue of the Earl of Angus and the second a memorial to the disbandment.
The Cameronian Regimental Memorial in the village in Crabtree Street. It is a statue of their first colonel, James Douglas, Earl of Angus who is pointing to the surrounding hills where he was able to raise so many loyal men. Date of photo: 19th June 2019.
The second is in the Douglas Estate just beyond Stable Lake.
Memorial to the Cameronian Regiment, Douglas Estate. 12th May 2019
Unbeknown to me at the time, earlier that day (Sunday, May 12th), there had been a service at the memorial to commemorate the 51st Anniversary of disbandment at Douglas. Hence all the wreaths and flowers. See the pictorial report by the organisers.
The plaque on the memorial explains its purpose.
Plaque on the Memorial, Douglas Estate. 12th May 2019
Cairn Lodge was the gateway to the former Douglas Castle and estate. It is now part of the Cairn Lodge Motorway Services (just off the M74) run by the Westmoreland Group.
Cairn Lodge gateway at Cairn Lodge Motorway Services area. 12th May 2019.
Restaurant building at Cairn Lodge Motorway Services. 12th May 2019.
Through the gateway. 12th May 2019.
Cairn Lodge - the other side of the gateway. 12th May 2019..